Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cannot log in to web Albums from picasa while using fedora 12. "Login failied please try again later"

Couple of days back, I had to sync some photos from my laptop to Picasa web albums. This was the first time I used Picasa app after installing Fedora 12 in my laptop.

I clicked on the "Sign In to Web Albums" and entered my gmail username and password and got log in failure message. The log in window returned immediately showing "Login failed - Please try again later". The error was thrown in less than a second which was ample reason for me to believe that that this is a problem at my end, not at gmail end.



Searched the web and got the solution suggesting to install "openssl-devel" package on my laptop.

# yum install openssl-devel

Tried to sign in to the web album again, but unfortunately still getting the same error message.

Banged on my head for a couple of minutes and finally realized that Fedora 13 running on my laptop was x86_64 and picasa is a 32 bit application and I must install openssl-devel.i686.

# yum install openssl-devel.i686

I was really happy after that. Everything worked as expected and my engagement photos are now live on picasa.

3 comments:

Atrapalhado said...

Thanks so much for this: been struggling with this problem for a while....

Niky Nikolov said...

Thanks for the solution. I was almost ready to remove picasa and try something else. Although I´m still confused about why Google won´t make a ¨proper¨ linux version as opposed to the wine one.

Bunkaido said...

Just wanted to let everyone know that this same thing fixed my issue with logging in to Web Albums with Picasa 3 on Fedora 14.

Thanks for the advice.